Dealing with temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder can be a painful and frustrating experience. TMJ disorder affects the jaw joint and the surrounding muscles, leading to symptoms such as jaw pain, headaches, clicking or popping sounds, and difficulty opening and closing the mouth.
In this blog, we will delve into the causes of TMJ disorder and explore how Atlas Orthogonal Chiropractic can provide relief and improve your quality of life.
Understanding TMJ Disorder
The temporomandibular joint acts as a hinge, connecting the jawbone to the skull. TMJ disorder occurs when this joint becomes misaligned or experiences dysfunction, often resulting from factors such as:
- Misalignment of the Atlas Vertebra: The Atlas vertebra, also known as the C1 vertebra, is located at the top of the spine, just beneath the skull. Misalignments in the Atlas can affect the surrounding structures, including the TMJ.
- Trauma or Injury: Physical trauma to the head, neck, or jaw area, such as whiplash from a car accident or a blow to the face, can lead to TMJ disorder.
- Teeth Grinding (Bruxism): Habitual teeth grinding or clenching can strain the jaw joint excessively and contribute to TMJ disorder.
- Stress: Chronic stress and tension can cause the jaw muscles to tighten, leading to jaw joint dysfunction and discomfort.
Treatment Options: Atlas Orthogonal Chiropractic
Atlas Orthogonal Chiropractic is a specialized form of chiropractic care that focuses on the alignment of the Atlas vertebra. This technique aims to restore proper nerve function and promote overall health and well-being by gently correcting misalignments in the Atlas. When it comes to TMJ disorder, Atlas Orthogonal Chiropractic can provide significant benefits, including:
- Alignment Restoration: By ensuring the proper alignment of the Atlas vertebra, Atlas Orthogonal Chiropractic can help alleviate the underlying issues contributing to TMJ disorder. Restoring proper alignment can relieve pressure on the jaw joint and reduce symptoms.
- Reduced Muscle Tension: Misalignments in the Atlas can cause muscle imbalances and tension in the jaw and surrounding areas. By addressing these misalignments, Atlas Orthogonal Chiropractic helps relieve muscle tension, improving jaw function and reducing pain.
- Improved Nerve Communication: Misalignments in the Atlas can interfere with the communication between the nervous system and the jaw joint. By restoring proper alignment, Atlas Orthogonal Chiropractic enhances nerve function, allowing the jaw joint to function optimally.
Experience Relief and Improved Jaw Function with Atlas Injury to Health
If you’re struggling with TMJ disorder and seeking a natural, non-invasive approach to treatment, Atlas Injury to Health is here to help. Dr. Mike, our experienced chiropractor specializing in Atlas Orthogonal Chiropractic, is dedicated to providing personalized care and relief for patients in Winter Garden, FL. Take the first step towards improved jaw function and pain-free life by scheduling a consultation with Dr. Mike at Atlas Injury to Health today.